How Often Should You Chlorinate Your Well?

Is it safe to shower in water that smells like sulfur?

If you notice a rotten egg smell in your water, you’re probably wondering if you and your family are safe.

A rotten egg odor is a sign that the sulfur levels in your water may be too high.

Good, clean water is free of taste or odors and doesn’t pose any risks to your health..

Why does my well water turn brown when I add bleach?

The brown is the iron in the water that has oxidized as a result of the chlorination. Normally, the iron in water is in ion form and does not display itself until it combines with oxygen and forms common rust which turns the water reddish-brown.

Can I pour hydrogen peroxide in my well?

From time to time, it may be desirable to use hydrogen peroxide to decontaminate the entire well because some of the odor-causing bacteria also produce sulfuric acid, which will corrode the pump in the long run. Some of the iron bacteria can also produce a musty, fishy or oily smell in the water.

How long after bleaching Well can I shower?

24 hoursBefore you chlorinate your well, there are a number of precautions and steps to take to ensure safety for your family. Keep in mind that doing laundry and taking a shower cannot be done for at least 24 hours with a chlorinated well. Waiting a few days to do these is a good idea.

How do you sanitize a deep well?

CLEAN: Remove all loose or foreign debris from the well house, spring house or storage tank. Turn the pump circuit breaker off and remove the well cap or cover. Then scrub the accessible interior surface with strong chlorine solu- tion (1/2 gallon chlorine bleach per 5 gallons clean water).

How much bleach does it take to shock a well?

Mix 2 quarts bleach in 10 gallons of water; pour into well. Connect a garden hose to a nearby faucet and wash down the inside of the well. Open each faucet and let the water run until a strong chlorine odor is detected, then turn it off and go to the next one.

Should you chlorinate your well?

Chlorinating a well eliminates other water quality problems, as well, like the presence of iron bacteria and hydrogen sulfide. These contaminants can give the water a bad taste and cause a rotten egg smell when the faucet is turned on.

How often should I treat my well water?

As you can see, there are plenty of reasons to get your well water tested. While it should be done at least once a year, talk with your water test provider to ensure you don’t need to be having it done more often.

Will Shocking well get rid of sulfur smell?

1. Shock your well with chlorine bleach or hydrogen peroxide to get temporary relief from sulfur odors. Often keeps odors away for 1 – 2 months. 2.

When can you drink water after shocking well?

Wait one to two weeks after shock chlorinating the water supply system to retest for total coliform and E. coli bacteria. Follow sample collection instructions carefully. If the test results show the absence of coliform bacteria, the water is safe to drink.

How long does it take to smell bleach when shocking a well?

It can take 30 minutes to 24 hours or more to flush all of the chlorine from the well. ►Once the chlorine is gone from the well, open up each fixture one at a time until the chlorine smell is no longer present.

How much bleach is too much?

Not Diluting Bleach Enough More bleach doesn’t mean a better clean. ACI notes the only advantage to using more bleach than prescribed is if the surface is soiled. When using bleach to clean floors, sinks, appliances, certain dishes and countertops, ACI says, “Do not use more than one cup of bleach per gallon of water.”

How much does it cost to shock treat a well?

The cost ranges from $80 – $200. You can also perform the task yourself. It simply consists of pouring diluted chlorine into the water, letting it sit for a while, and then flushing the chlorine out of the system. You do this by making preparations, adding the chlorine bleach, and disinfecting the well.

How long should you wait to use water after you chlorinate a well?

Use your reserves of fresh water for all purposes. Step 6 WAIT at least 12 hours before turning faucets back on. Do not drink, cook, bathe, or wash with water from your faucets during this time because it has high amounts of chlorine in it.

Are you supposed to put bleach in your well?

4) Work out how much bleach will be needed: For every 50 gallons of water in the well use one quart of laundry bleach – (4 quarts in a gallon). Do not use excessive amounts of bleach – more is not more effective. 5) For best results the bleach should be combined with water before adding it to the well.

What happens if you put too much bleach in well?

A small amount of chlorine won’t hurt a septic system, but a large amount (e.g. a gallon put in all at once) can kill the bacteria that you *do* want in that system. – IMPORTANT – if you have a water softener system – bypass it when doing the sanitization.

How many years does a water well last?

30-50 yearsThe average lifespan of a well is 30-50 years, although they can last longer or shorter depending on different circumstances. If the well you are buying is over 20 years old, you should at least factor in replacing the parts that commonly fail into your home buying budget.

Does a well need maintenance?

Regular maintenance of your well is required to ensure the continued safety of your water and to monitor for the presence of any contaminants. … All hazardous materials, such as paint, fertilizer, pesticides, and motor oil, should be kept far away from your well.

How long does it take to get bleach out of well?

30 minutes to 24 hoursRun the water to flush the bleach solution out of the well. Monitor the process, it can take 30 minutes to 24 hours or more to flush all of the bleach solution from the well. Use chlorine test papers to verify that the water coming from the outside faucet or yard hydrant is clear of any bleach solution.

Can you drink water that smells like sulfur?

In most cases drinking water that has a strong rotten egg odor, although particularly unpleasant, is perfectly safe to drink. However in some rare occasions the odor may be caused by sewage or other contaminates in a building’s water supply, which could cause health problems.

Is store brand bleach as good as Clorox?

Clorox is the most popular brand, but Clorox bleach is no better than generic brands — it just costs more. Generic cleaners, such as sanitizing wipes, work as well as the name brands. A name-brand cleaner with bleach costs about $0.14 an ounce compared to $0.08 an ounce for a generic brand found at the dollar store.